Cloud-native database product by Alibaba Cloud
PolarDB for PostgreSQL (PolarDB) is a cloud-native database product independently developed by Alibaba Cloud. It is 100% compatible with PostgreSQL. It uses a shared-storage-based storage-compute separation architecture and features extreme elasticity, millisecond latency, and HTAP.
1. Extreme Elasticity:
Storage and computing capabilities can be scaled out independently.
- If the computing capacity is insufficient, you can expand the computing cluster separately without data replication.
- If the storage capacity or IO is insufficient, you can expand the storage cluster without service interruption.
2. Delay in Milliseconds:
- WAL is log storage on the shared storage, and only the metadata of WAL is copied between RW and all RO.
- The original Log Index technology implements Lazy playback and Parallel playback, theoretically minimizing the latency between RW and RO nodes.
3. HTAP Capability:
It is a distributed parallel execution framework based on shared storage and accelerates OLAP queries in OLTP scenarios. A set of OLTP-based data can support two sets of computing engines.
- Standalone Execution Engine: It handles highly concurrent TP-based loads.
- Distributed Execution Engine: AP-type loads that handle large queries
PolarDB also supports multi-mode innovation features (such as spatio-temporal, GIS, image, vector, search, and graph) to meet the ever-changing needs of enterprises for data processing.